Friday, September 18, 2009

Are you a Disciple?

I am just loving this study on 1 Thessalonians. It is amazing how you can read something and not get anything out of it, but when you take a study it closely, the word can come alive and things just start jumping off the page at you. Wednesday night we were talking about Paul and studying how his journey to Thessalonica came about.

We see how Paul met Timothy in Acts 16:1. "And a disciple was there, named Timothy, the son of a Jewish woman who was a believer, but his father was a Greek, 2) and he was well spoken of by the brethren who were in Lystra and Iconium. 3) Paul wanted this man to go with him; and he took him and circumcised him because of the Jews who were in those parts, for they all knew that his father was a Greek."

Timothy was circumcised to be a witness. He would not have had to have done this. That was law back in the Old Testament. He did this on his own accord not wanting the Jews to be able to say anything about his unbelieving father. He went above and beyond what would have been required. We see that "being a disciple is optional" not everyone is going to be able to do it. Sure anyone who has accepted Christ as their Savior will be in Heaven, but when I get there I want to hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant." I don't want to do the bare minimum. I want to be a disciple for Christ. I hope everyone asks themselves the question "What is it that I can do to serve and do exactly what God wants me to do?" Not just what would be easy for me to do, but what is God calling me to do? It may get me out of my comfort zone and I may not like it, but if that is what God is calling me to do, I want to be found faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment