Friday, May 21, 2010

Are You Swept Off Your Feet?

Chapter One was all about the heart-foot connection. I encourage all of you to watch the video below even if you aren't reading along with us. You can gain little nuggets of truth even in this seven minute video. I have shared my thought below on these questions. Please share your answers and insight by commenting below.
  1. Read the first point of contrast between a Wild and a Wise Thing (Pages 23-33)
  2. Download and complete the Chapter Questions for Personal Reflection
  3. Post your comments on the Blog.
  • Explain why the Sage told his son to take careful note of a girl’s feet.
  • How would the behavior of a woman who is “swept off her feet” by Jesus differ from one who is swept of her feet by other things?
  • What things in your life compete for the center spot in your affections?
  • How can you keep Christ at the center?

1. Explain why the Sage told his son to take careful note of a girl's feet.
The Sage Father tells his son that he will be able to tell a lot about a women by her walk (so true). Why? "Her walk demonstrates where her loyalty lies. It reveals whether her heart is inclined toward the Lord or toward other things--whether she's moving toward Him or away from Him, whether she prefers the path of uprightness or the path of wickedness, God's way or the world's way--whether she favors being wise or wild"(page 24-25). The small steps she takes daily add up to reveal what is important to her or where heart is in relationship to God.

2. How would the behavior of a woman who is “swept off her feet” by Jesus differ from one who is swept of her feet by other things?
If a woman is swept off her feet her attitude and speech and conduct are pleasing to God. She follows the Lord, and relies on Him. One who is swept of her feet by other things will do the things which are pleasing in her own eyes. "She will follow her own desires, turn aside from the straight and narrow, go after things she has no right to, and mess around with sin" (pg 25).

3. What things in your life compete for the center spot in your affections?
I think that a lot of times it is the "busyness" of life. I find myself getting up and wanting to get this or that done before I get into my quiet time with God. That is not the way it should be. I need to put all things aside until I have had my time alone with God. He should be my number one priority, not throwing a load of laundry in the washing machine. It can also be "me time," or what I want to do. If I find a free few minutes I will turn on my sewing machine or want to scrapbook; before I have had my time with God. Page 33 tells us that an important characteristic of a girl gone wise is that "Jesus Christ occupies first place in her heart. He is the object of her greatest affection." A good question to ask yourself is, "Are you swept off your feet in love with Jesus?" If the answer is no...you need to do some reprioritizing.

4. How can you keep Christ at the center?
By focusing on Him. Stop living the world's way and live God's way. "The more a woman's heart is seized with affection for Jesus, the more her life will be transformed to walk His way" (pg. 32).

No comments:

Post a Comment